01: What is the best way to roll out New "Universal" licenses if I already have "Original" licenses?
The ideal way to transition between NEW "Universal" licenses and "Original" licenses would be the following:
Create two GPOs..
- One GPO to contain the ORIGINAL licenses and
- One GPO to contain the NEW / Universal licenses.
- Deploy these GPOs everywhere such that the machines embrace BOTH policies.
Then.. as you transition from OLD CSE (before year 2021) to new CSE (year 2021 and later)… your machines with the PolicyPak CSE will…
- Get OLD license GPO.
- Get NEW license GPO.
- Get both GPOs apply to the same machine.
- If machine has OLD CSE: The CSE is licensed.
- If machine has NEW CSE: The CSE is licensed.
Extra things to know:
- The only "extra thing" to know is NEW CSE will accept OLD license until end of 2021.
- After July 1st, 2021, new CSE will start throwing warnings (in the file-based logs, event logs, ppupdate output and pplogs) about NOT having a Universal license in-place and ready for 2022.
Warning: Only remove the OLD Licensing GPO when you are sure you have rolled out a CSE 2687 and later (anything from year 2021 and later)