07: How to enable and start a service using Group Policy Preferences
- Create a new GPO for Group Policy Preferences
- Select Computer Configuration > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Services
- Right-click on Services and choose New > Service
- Under the General tab set the “Startup:” to “Automatic” then click the ellipsis under “Service Name:” then select the service you would like to enable.
In this example, I selected the RPC service.
- Under “Service action:” select “Start service”
- Under the Recovery tab, select “Restart the Service” for all 3 recovery options, then select “OK”.
- Now apply the GPO to the Computer OU where the computers live where you want this setting and the next time GPUPDATE runs the service will be enabled.